Venue: Cyfarfod Rhithiol / Virtual Meeting. View directions
Contact: Rhodri Jones 01286 679256
To receive any apologies for absence.
No apologies for absence were received.
DECLARATION OF PERSONAL INTEREST
To receive any declaration of personal interest.
No declarations of personal interest were received.
To consider any items which are urgent matters in the opinion of the Chairman.
None to note.
To receive and confirm the minutes of a meeting of the Aberdyfi Harbour Consultative Committee held on the 25 October 2022.
The Chairman signed the minutes of the previous committee meeting held on 25 October, 2022, as a true record.
To submit a report by the Senior Harbours Officer.
To note and accept the report.
The following reports were presented, and Members were invited to give observations on their content and to ask questions.
The Senior Harbour Officer's report, giving a brief update to the committee on harbour matters for the year ending March 2023.
Aberdyfi Moorings and Boat Registration
· It was reported that Aberdyfi Marine Services would provide a new mooring contracting service this year. It was explained that this service was in addition to the moorings service currently provided by Underwater Maintenance and Inspections company, that had been operational in Aberdyfi Harbour for several years.
· It was confirmed that the Cyngor Gwynedd system to register Powerboats and Personal Watercraft continued to be administered via an on-line agreement. It was added that it was possible for customers to use the on-line system to pay for their mooring.
Port Marine Safety Code
· It was reported that the harbour Port Marine Safety Code would be reviewed this year as well as developing new risk assessments as a result of developments to the new quay wall for the harbour.
· It was explained that the Merchant Shipping (Watercraft) Order 2023 would come into effect on 31 March this year. This legislation would ensure that the owners of personal watercraft would use their craft safely. It was elaborated that harbour officers collaborated closely with North Wales Police to ensure an understanding of the relevant processes as a result of the introduction of this legislation.
o In response to a query regarding training to use personal watercraft, it was confirmed by the Aberdyfi Harbourmaster that 'Waterwise Marine' training was available in Pwllheli and Porthmadog. It was expanded that personal watercraft would not be able to launch from the harbour if they did not have valid insurance. However, it was confirmed that there was no requirement for owners to prove that they had received training on how to use personal watercraft correctly.
o The importance was stressed that individuals should note the registration numbers of any personal watercraft they see breaching regulations and to report them to harbour staff.
o Consideration was given to nearby harbours and authorities. It was noted although it was not possible to prevent individuals from launching their personal watercraft beyond the harbour, the harbour boat travelled between Tywyn and Aberdyfi to encourage people to stay safe and to share information. There was no certainty now whether there were strict regulations with the registration of personal watercraft in Ceredigion, however, the hope was to continue to work together with the authority to encourage them to adopt this system.
o It was mentioned that paddle-board training was available at the Rowing Club. However, it was emphasised that it was very easy for any person to buy a paddle-board and therefore we needed to be cautious of these users.
· The Maritime Service Manager was welcomed to the meeting and congratulated on his recent appointment.
· It was reported that there were no changes to staffing matters during the recent period and it was confirmed that the Harbourmaster and ... view the full minutes text for item 5.
DATE OF NEXT MEETING
To note that the next meeting of the Aberdyfi Harbour Consultative Committee will be held on 17 October 2023.
It was confirmed that the next meeting would be held on 17 October, 2023.